View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 8:27 PM
BANNED

Mystery sidewalk object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
It doesn't help to answer the question, but here's another angle on the Subway Terminal Building. This one is dated 1955. A lot of the signage seems to match the picture above, but instead of a "metal 'gate'", there's a more boxy construction (shoe-shiner or newspaper vendor?). Maybe the 'gate' was just somewhere to place adverts to catch the attention of passengers/workers exiting the building.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library
In my enlargement below, we see the sidewalk elevator with the orange arrow at the top. These were rather large and had access to the building's basements.

The object at the bottom with the blue arrow seems to be too small for an elevator. Also see the two boxes on either side.
Is someone selling something? Objects appear to be hanging on the side. I'm not sure what it is. Any ideas?

previous photo enlargement

Tovangar: My mother used to live in the Orphanage next door to Blessed Sacrament Church, on Sunset Blvd.. This is 1930 and the Depression was happening. I think she lived there two years. Her father couldn't pay the fee, so he moved her to Church Home For Children in Glendale [?].

Yes, that Crossroads did have a checkered history.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Apr 24, 2015 at 8:38 PM.