View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:34 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I'm off for 4 weeks and will be driving West. We will be camping (tent) and staying some nights at hotels.

We're hoping to make it to the Rockies and maybe a bit beyond. I bought a Parks Canada Discovery Pass and we hope to visit Grasslands in SK and then Waterton Lakes in AB and then up to Jasper, Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, Glacier and Mount Revelstoke National Parks.

The only major city in Canada that I've never been to is Calgary so going there is in the plans. We've been to Edmonton but will probably go there as well.

Question:

What would be our best options for staying overnight in (or near) the rockies if we don't have reservations? Either hotel or camping with a tent. I don't like paying big bucks. (more than $150.00 per night for a hotel) Do any decent hotels/motels exist that aren't very expensive? Any campgrounds where it's not impossible to find a site?
At any of the popular BC Provincial campgrounds it'll be almost impossible to get a site at this point. Which is too bad because the BC Provincial parks are fantastic. But if you have some dates in mind I'd still check www.discovercapming.ca to see if there are any sites available for the time you'll be through. A lot of the BC campgrounds have first come first served sites, but you need to get there pretty early to get one.

You'll have better luck at private campgrounds, I would just search for campgrounds in the areas you want to go to. Also you should be able to find hotel accommodation in Revelstoke or Golden without too much trouble. Near Jasper, maybe Hinton ? Not a great place to stay though.