View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I just wish people would understand Econ 101 and realize that real estate developers are not cartoon villains who are able to arbitrarily price units however they feel like ("I demand.. one MEEEELLION dollars!"). They do not set the market price. HRM has more control over the market price than the mom and pop scale builders do, because urban planning controls can constrain the supply of new housing.

I wonder if covid will help with the mindless anti-business attitudes. Or will we continue to have people ranting about corporations and Big Pharma without any nuance while they're also screaming at anti-vaxxers for not going and getting their $20 shot from Pfizer, that shot from evil big business being the only thing that could plausibly bring this to an end right now?
Agreed. In regards to developers, it's another generalization that people jump to in these situations due to ample musicals and other productions that represent them as such. In reality they're the ones keeping housing costs within reason for the rest of us.
For myself, it really comes down to the projects they complete and the quality of the product, some are better than others.
Don't get me started on the Planners though. Haha

With your covid statement, not to answer a question with a question.
Did it need to be this way?
What happened to the Dr. Jonas Salk's of the world?
Why did we have to turn these groups when years ago we had public research facilities that could plausibly do the same work as we seen in England through Oxford University. It's sad to think the only reason we may get out of this pandemic soon wasn't altruism but the profit motive.
It's why public safety isn't something we usually leave up to the private sector.

Being against the consolidation of global research and development in pharmaceuticals to a select number of companies isn't anti-business, it's a rational question to ask if that's efficient or beneficial for humanity. It leaves less checks and balances on a very important sector that is only going to become more vital to human civilization going forward. This vaccine might only be $20 but how much will the next one cost?