View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 22, 2013, 12:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Here's something to speculate on.

The 'city', Moncton + Riverview + Dieppe, but excluding all the rural areas in Moncton's CMA has about 120,000 people. We currently have 6 high schools (BMHS, HTHS, MHS, RHS, M-M, and l'Odyssée ) or about 1 per 20,000 people.

The city has been growing at between 2,000 and 2,500 people per year for the past half-decade.

What's going to happen when Moncton needs a 7th high school, hypothetically in 8 to 10 years? If it were to be built anywhere in the city that's closer than the new school U/C now, why would you continue to bus kids from downtown all the way out to the sticks? So who would get stuck going to Royal Oaks High?

Even if our worst fears come true, I can't see that much residential development happening north of the TCH in the next ten years to justify having a high school up there...
Quite true. Since the year 2000, Moncton has added about 22,000 people. It is reasonable to suspect that by the years 2022-25, a seventh high school will be needed in the metro area.

I'm sure that it will be built south of the TCH. The question is, will it be in the northwest end or will it be in Moncton East, in the Shediac Rd area.

My vote would be Moncton East.