View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I spotted the Calpet/Texaco gas station in the background, but can't read the signage to tell which guise it was in at the time.

Detail of picture at USC Digital Library

We've probably seen this picture before. I don't have a record of its source (I thought it was USC, but can only find this similar one), but it seemed like a good time to (re)post it. It was almost certainly taken from the Town House, and shows the opposite view to the one above. On the left of Wilshire is The Arcady, mentioned recently by GW (see here).

A better view of Simon's Drive-In and the La Fayette Apartments. I'm not sure if the scene on the left is an accident or construction work.

The picture also shows the Hershey Arms, as seen in a recent post by FredH. Back in post #15408, e_r posed the question: "ALSO...what's going on with the second dome. Where was this flue in earlier photographs. -disguised within the dome?". In the detail below, the flues are clearly visible to the left of the second dome.

Funny. I was focusing on the building due west of the station, "Chesterfield's", recently featured here: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=19191 Can't help but notice how closely the Bank of America's architecture mimics the Chesterfield, or vice versa. Coincidence? (While I was not personally acquainted with the Chesterfield building, its loss seems significant. Wouldn't mind seeing a color photo of the building.

What is east of Simon's? Tennis Courts? Public playground, basketball etc?

Also curious about the ziggurat-like structure toward the left side (middle) of the final photo in HossC's original post. What did it house? Commercial structure? Another whimsical Drive-in? Public?

Last edited by Tourmaline; Feb 8, 2014 at 9:57 PM.