View Single Post
Old Posted May 23, 2013, 3:05 AM

Call Boxes

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;6137776] Well that was fast. Thanks Mstimc! I'll check it out.

Does anyone know if the police call boxes were originally blue, and did they all have the light on to

The box you show is a "phantom" it is made from a Gamewell Secuirity Post and a cable box (cable box has blank doors as they just had wiring inside). the box has had wording on separate pieces of metal applied to make it look like it is authentic. L.A. had over a life time many different boxes, both pedestal type and boxes mounted on telephone poles. After the Watts Riots in '65 the Fire Alarm boxes began to be removed because of false alarms and deteriorating lines. Many were given a sheet steel door with a tag that said POLICE and rewired for police use. It is too hard to explain how many types were used through the years here. I Have many boxes Fire Police different cities etc. I will post some photos one of these days. to answer your question L.A. did not use lights as far as I know. As far as color, what ever was on the truck, blue, black, tan, gray you name it.