View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 22, 2017, 12:44 AM

It is the natural life cycle of most wood-frame buildings to decline over time as they wear out, their use changes, and eventually be replaced. Halifax fights change at every turn so this reaction seen above is no real surprise. We need to get over the stereotype that "old=good" just as much as we need to get over the "tall building=bad" mindset locally.

It's funny because I had a similar thought earlier today before reading this thread as I was driving along Dutch Village Rd. I observed the new development on the site of the old Halifax West, the new building going up at the foot of Rufus, the new building at the intersection with Bayers, and of course the newish Fares development at the southern end,. These are surrounded by some run-down 1960s small wooden apartment buildings along with grow-op shops, various sketchy rental properties and businesses, and other eyesores. This is really no different than what is being talked about above. Those structures I mentioned were probably quite nice when new. But why would anyone want to save them now?