View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 6:33 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
BEST IDEA EVER!

I never thought of those lands for a stadium, it would be perfect!!

Technically those lands are still on the peninsula and imagine coming in off the bridge and seeing a stadium! Its also good because it is a cluster with the Forum across the street, there is a grocery store right there, etc.

Imagine a mixed residential development plus the stadium!
I looked at this location also and it looks perfect. This would be the area bounded by Young Street, Kempt Road and CFB Willow Park. Do you know who owns this property? Willow Park appears to be owned by the military but the block immediately north of Young does not seem to be part of CFB Willow Park (according to Mapquest). There seems to be quite a bit of parking at the forum and surrounding areas. Also I don't think there would be a lot of opposition to this location since it appears to be quite industrial with some military residential (which is likely rented housing).

I think there will be a lot of additional uses for this stadium once it is built. However, since cost is an issue there are several ways to keep the cost down. One way is to have all bench type seating instead of folding seats. Not only is it less expensive to install, it is also easier to maintain since it could be cleaned easily with pressure washers, when necessary. During periods of snow it would be quicker to remove the snow and during the summer it would withstand the heat and UV light better than plastic seats (I am thinking of aluminum benches as opposed to wood benches which were used in the Halifax Forum at one time). An example is the seating in the Saracuse Dome ( http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium..._carrier.shtml ). Just don't have a dome but partial roof if economical. The superstructure for the stands would still be concrete. The aluminum benches can be placed directly on the concrete. One additional big advantage is that you waste less space than with seats. A stadium that would sit 27,000 with folding seats would likely sit 30,000 with benches.