View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 7:18 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Since it looks like Dolan will never move, is it technically possible to build towers on top of an arena on top of a train terminal?
If they don't move the Garden, it should at least be rebuilt to fit in to the urban context of the area, similar to the original Barclays Center proposal that had the arena topped and surrounded by towers. That way the Garden stays, but the development potential above it is unleashed. Penn Station below can be opened up more with higher ceilings, and some daylight where possible.

Quote:
Also, I would like to see them extend that outline area one block south of Moynihan. Cannot believe there is a surface parking lot catty corner to Penn Station in 2018. That shit needs to be upzoned for a 100 story office tower.
And that's the thing about NY, areas can change from block to block. There's not much on the south side of Moynihan on 31st St besides parking lots, a DMV, Duncan Donuts, etc. But around the corner, 30th St is a very well kept residential block, and it's pretty much residential south of that. No reason to mess with that when there are commercial blocks to the north that would serve just as well. I would be against that. But I do believe there was a proposal floating around here a year or two ago for that parking lot on the corner.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.