View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 10:39 PM
On Guard For Thee

Cambridge annoucned the go-ahead on this project back in the spring and began preliminary work at that time. I haven't heard anything specific, aside from Cambridge's presser which talks about adding more larger format stores, reworking the food court and adding more sit-down restaurants. They are definitely repositioning the mall to be more fashion-oriented and upscale. My guess is they will make a play for a bunch of the chains that just came to Canada (Aeropostale, Abercrombie, Hollister, Pottery Barn) that have yet to venture far out of the GTA. Some or all of those would be huge coups, and would add to the apparent success the addition of Banana Republic has been. H&M could well be there (full-line maybe?), lululemon, etc.

I'd be VERY surprised to see The Bay leave--the demographics in the area are great, the store is reasonably new and those anchors generally have sweetheart lease deals. The only possible explanation may be the announcement that the new ownership wants to bring the Lord & Taylor brand to Canada--Burlington would conceivably be the 'perfect' market for them--and there is another Bay only a stone's throw away--in the old Sears at Burlington Mall.

Not that it's a major consideration--but perhaps the renovation tied in with the expansion will allow for the interior of the mall to be reworked somewhat--I've never really liked it's cheap looking "warehouse" type architecture--certainly isn't befitting the market they are trying to pursue...see the very effective interior design work at Lime Ridge for reference.