View Single Post
Old Posted May 1, 2010, 8:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Well, they tore down the Shell Gas station there. So that's already an improvement. Hopefully something better will be built there.

I also saw on the corner of Granville and Western now there is a sign saying Walgreens coming soon. There is already a Walgreens across the street there so I would assume that they would close that one. There is also a sign saying retail space available adjacent to Walgreens in the new development. So now I'm wondering if it is going to be a strip mall or retail with condos on top. There is already a healthy space for parking on the corner so that's always exciting.

It would be great for that section of town to have an extension of the brown line running north from western to Howard.
This development just sucks.....I think if I recall it is zoned c3-2 ...which if memory serves would allow a building of roughly 55-60 ft or so on this parcel.

Instead we are getting a shitblock of autocentric suburban shit shit....it is maddening......my parent live essentially right behind this crapola and they supported it until I explained to them how much traffic a development of this style would generate as opposed to say a more urban style mixed use.

It just sucks...I mean the nexus of Peterson / western can get you either the red or the brown line in roughly 10 minutes or so little more at certain times of day and we get this crap

This area has suffered from being on the floating edge of ward boundaries for decades and hence there has been no leadership or vision.

The absolutely somnolent Ald bernie Stone should have put out to pasture 15 years ago. O'Connor has been less than helpful either but at least in his ward there have been other urban style development ....see parts of Lincoln Ave for instance

Oh and if Rep H. Osterman gets his way with a Metra station at Peterson / Ridge area.....all the more reason that development should be more dense and auto-dependent......it would be about a 5minute bus ride to the metra stop or `15 min walk.

By the way I think that metra station there is a bad idea.....it should be pjut at Devon and then move Lunt to Howard to spur commercial development along both those thoroughfares

Walgreens is urban cancer, this development is plain shit