View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
A no-car condo was built in Calgary last year, and that city is significantly less urban-scaled than Halifax (at least, central Halifax). If they can do it there they can do it here. I live in the Hydrostone, and the only reason I have a car is because my girlfriend works in Amherst several days a week. If it weren't for that we'd ditch the car in a second. It's ridiculously expensive and totally unnecessary for our day-to-day life in the city.

That would be even more true on SGR. I think that in this one neighbourhood, at least, it's as easy to go car-less as in pretty much anywhere in Canada.
I think it's silly to go car-less given how sparse parking is right now downtown. While I don't think we need to go overboard in terms of spots, for reasons I note above, we need more parking capacity in and around this area. Once we have decent parking capacity, then maybe car-less developments make sense. Right now, I'm tired of hearing "no parking" grumbling constantly. So, let's build parking garages to shut these people up.