View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 8:35 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Privateer View Post
When I look at peninsular Halifax on Google Earth, Gorsebrook Field looks like one of the obvious options for a stadium .... close to both universities, close to downtown and accompaning amenities. Also, I believe the field is below street level and thus a good start on a sunken bowl. Picture a sunny fall Saturday with The Halifax Privateers playing the Montreal Alouettes ... nice!!!
I also like that location (Gorsebrook). There also seems to be some room to have parking. Does anyone know the name of the modern building in the center of the Gorsebrook lot?

PS:

One concept that has advantages for a stadium design would be a multi-tier design such as the one that I drew in SketchUp below. The advantages are - 1) a roof could cover all of the seats in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tiers but be fairly basic with a relatively short overhang 2) it could be built with stairways that are at the back of each tier so as to eliminate vomitoriums within the stands 3) It would be compact with sight-lines directly over the field (the upper tiers could be clubseats and luxury boxes - as many as required). The one that I drew below seats about 26,000 with seats along both sidelines but could easily be expanded to about 45,000 with either temporary or permanent seats.

This is just how I imagine a stadium might be. It illustrates a way to minimize the size of a partial roof structure and still cover a majority of the seats. The height could be minimized if the lowest level were sunken (about 23 feet).

The Texas State Bobcats Stadium is somewhat similar to this concept - http://www.23hq.com/noevela/photo/4861276 - except the Bobcats Stadium doesn't have a roof (as is the case with many US university stadiums). Some race tracks have been built this way (multilevel with a partial roof over the stands).

This is a field-level perspective:

This is a view from the highest stadium level (4th tier)

Last edited by fenwick16; Jul 25, 2011 at 4:38 AM. Reason: updated the images - July 24, 2011