View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:16 AM

A weekend of firsts for me.

I saw the film noir "Tension" for the very first time ever on Saturday. I thought it was a good film. Audrey Totter plays the shit out of her femme fatale role, and a very young and beautiful Cyd Charisse plays the "good girl" role with aplomb.

An Apple Pan burger (maybe) to anyone who can locate the Ralphs supermarket seen in the film, @14:51 in this clip:
Video Link

There are clues that the film is set in Culver City (plus the fact that it's an MGM production), but I'm curious to know where that Ralphs is.

My other first; on Sunday, I observed my first ever Greek Orthodox worship service (I don't think they refer to it as a Mass). I went to St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in LA, on Normandie. A very over-the-top church; and go figure, there's a Hollywood connection to it---it was built with money provided by the Skouras brothers and opened in 1952. I've always wanted to sit through an Eastern Orthodox worship service, just to see what they do; myself being raised Roman Catholic, I wanted to compare the two.

I snuck one photo while the service was going on, and even took some video footage before an usher told me that I couldn't take photos during the service. I was secretly hoping to see Arianna Huffington there.

Photo by me

I took more photos of the interior after the service was over, but I won't post those here.

But anyway, after that experience, I started wondering where LA's Greeks worshipped prior to this cathedral being built. Apparently, they used to go to a church called the Greek Orthodox Church of the Annunciation, located at 1216 S. San Julian Street. Here it is in 1943:

LAPL

Unfortunately it no longer exists. Here's the site now, per Google Street View:

~ Charles Bukowski