View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 9:37 PM

Not really a Physical Development but a huge news story nonetheless(that I 1st dropped the rumors of late last year). It's really gonna suck to listen to Paul without Vickers at his side, like the breakup of a great duo. At least Dunnaway and Brown(2 of the biggest 'Bama clowns around) will have their show's hours reduced and Herb Winches is off JOX for good so there's that much to be smiling about. Good luck Paul and to Neal, I hope he lands on his feet somewhere solid be it at WJOX, working with Rick and Bubba again over at their new station, or even hosting his own radio show (How does "The Neal Vickers Power Hour" on 960 WERC sound?)

http://www.al.com/printer/printer.ss...600.xml&coll=2

Finebaum headed to WJOX
Friday, January 19, 2007
BOB CARLTON
News staff writer

Paul Finebaum is switching sides.

After more than 13 years at WERC-AM, the controversial radio talk-show host told station owner Clear Channel Communications on Thursday night that he plans to join all-sports station WJOX-FM.

Finebaum's decision ends weeks of speculation about what he would do when his three-year, six-figure contract with Clear Channel expired. That agreement ends today, and Fine-baum could go on the air at WJOX as soon as Monday.

"It has been an excruciating decision for a lot of reasons, and for one in particular - the fact that I've been at ERC for 13 years," Finebaum said. "While there are always ups and downs in any situation, it has been, for the most part, a great run."

Finebaum and Citadel Broadcasting, which owns WJOX, have agreed in principle on a three-year contract, he said.

His previous deal with Clear Channel paid him about $350,000 a year, plus bonuses, but he would not say how much more he will make at his new station. He did say "the potential is much higher."

One of the main reasons for joining WJOX, Finebaum said, is the chance to broadcast his show on an all-sports FM station.

"They (FM sports-talk stations) have been successful in big markets and I think it has a tremendous chance of being successful here," Finebaum said.

WJOX, which had been on the air as an AM station since 1992, began broadcasting on the 100.5 FM frequency in November. Its previous AM 690 signal is now home to WSPZ-AM, a second all-sports station that Citadel started less than two weeks ago.

"I think they've done a really good job of branding themselves as the premier sports station," Finebaum said of WJOX. "We may have had what some people consider to be the premier sports show, but we weren't on a premier sports station."

In 2004, Sports Illustrated named Finebaum's afternoon show one of the 12 best sports-talk shows in the country. Except for his show, though, WERC is primarily a news-oriented station.

In an effort to keep Finebaum, Clear Channel offered him the option of also airing his show on FM rock station 105.5 The Vulcan (WENN).

As late as Thursday evening, Clear Channel increased its financial offer to try to get Finebaum to stay at WERC, but he said at that point he already had made up his mind to leave.

"We made a great effort at him," Doug Hamand, Clear Channel's regional vice president of programming, said Thursday night. "He is not only a co-worker of mine but he is one of my personal friends.

"Is my heart broken tonight? Yeah. It's a big loss for us at Clear Channel. Paul is a great guy and we are going to miss him immensely."

Efforts to reach Dale Daniels, general manager of Citadel's Birmingham stations, were unsuccessful Thursday.

Many changes at WJOX:

Finebaum's hiring is the latest in a flurry of changes at WJOX.

After nearly 15 years as an AM-only station, WJOX began simulcasting on the 100.5 FM frequency in late November.

Less than a month later, longtime WJOX personality Herb Winches, who had been with the station since its inception, left because he said he did not want to get demoted to what he called the "B" team on the AM side while Citadel negotiated with Finebaum to take Winches' place on the FM dial.

Then, earlier this month, Citadel launched WSPZ on the AM-690 frequency to pair with WJOX on the FM-100.5 signal.

In doing so, Citadel also made several lineup changes, including reuniting the former morning team of Scott Griffin and Matt Coulter on the AM station.

At WJOX, Finebaum's show will continue to air weekday afternoons, likely from 2 to 6 p.m. The "Dunaway and Brown" show, hosted by Jim Dunaway and Ryan Brown, currently airs in that time slot and will have to move to a different time or to the AM station.

Finebaum, who has taken verbal shots at WJOX and some of its personalities over the years, said he looks forward to the new partnership. He realizes some WJOX listeners won't be thrilled that he's on board.

"I understand the loyalty that people had to Herb," Finebaum said. "Herb is a legend in sports broadcasting, and I can easily understand people being concerned and bothered by first, him leaving and by second, of all people, me taking that time slot.

"It doesn't appear that strange today," he added. "It may the first day on the job, when I mention the name of the call letters."

Finebaum has built a reputation as the talk-show host listeners love to hate but listen to anyway. His show has billed itself as the place "where legends are made and most football coaches fired."

In 1998, WJOX's Coulter filed a defamation lawsuit over a remark Finebaum made about Coulter on the air. The Alabama Supreme Court later ruled in Finebaum's favor.

Two years ago, a lawyer for HealthSouth founder Richard Scrushy claimed Finebaum had "taken to blasting Scrushy over the radio airwaves," and asked a Jefferson County Circuit Court judge to force Finebaum to turn over two years of tapes of his syndicated show. A judge dismissed the request.

This past fall, Finebaum and his callers were urging the firing of Alabama football coach Mike Shula.

Under the banner of the Paul Finebaum Radio Network, his show is carried on about 20 other stations, most of those in Alabama. Those affiliates likely will stay with him, Finebaum said.

"There may be a change here or a change there, but I think we've developed a strong enough following that those affiliates will continue to be affiliates," Finebaum said.

Pat Smith, the producer of the Paul Finebaum Radio Network, also will go to WJOX, Finebaum said. It is uncertain if Neal Vickers, who also appears on the show, will join them, Finebaum added.

E-mail: bcarlton@bhamnews.com

© 2007 The Birmingham News
© 2007 al.com All Rights Reserved.