View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 6:47 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i happened to be at the whitney the other day before they dedicated the new gansevoort peninsula park fka the sanitation pier, so you get fresh pics — i have a few more if anyone is interested — its been u/c for several years, so nice to see it opening at last —

the beach + the whitney fly

Manhattan unveils its first public beach along the Hudson River

By Ramsey Khalifeh
Published Oct 2, 2023

The city welcomed its newest park Monday — and it’s Manhattan’s first public beach.

Gansevoort Peninsula located in Hudson River Park has a public beach, sports field, a beachfront landing for non-motorized boats like kayaks and 20 million oysters around the land. Gov. Kathy Hochul spoke at the opening and said Gansevoort is the largest park built in New York City since Central Park.

“This day, this place, reminds me why New Yorkers are so exceptional,” Hochul said. “To take a place that had been abandoned and overlooked and forgotten and turn it into a gathering place for people from around the world.“

The peninsula was previously a depot for the Department of Sanitation, according to the Hudson River Park Trust. It sits across from the Whitney Museum on Gansevoort Street and alongside the Hudson River Greenway. Surrounding the peninsula are views of the Statue of Liberty and One World Trade Center.

more:
https://gothamist.com/news/manhattan...e-hudson-river