Thread: Old Halifax
View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 1:39 PM

I never knew that Texpark was on municipal property. I should have realized that when the vacated lot after its demolition was offered for sale by the city, but I never connected those dots. That also explains the reason Texpark was as poorly built as it was. I am old enough to remember using it and a few things stick out in my mind. It was cheaply built using a steel frame, concrete-block walls and corrugated metal. The floor plates by the time I remember it were quite scary due to the flex you could feel in them as you drove over them looking for a parking spot. It was particularly noticeable as you were walking from your car to the stairwells or elevator when other vehicles drove past. It was dark, dingy and dirty inside as you might expect from looking at photos. It had a single small elevator in the northeast corner that was by far the most scary elevator I have ever ridden it. On several occasions I wondered if I was going to die in it as it clanked and jerked its way to your destination and I always wondered how it passed provincial inspection. It seemed little care was taken by the city during its design, which matched the little maintenance they did during its life.