View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2022, 4:11 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
isn't the long term plan to connect to California HSR infrastructure to access Union Station once that is built? My understanding was that the Rancho Cucamonga station was a temporary solution until they can use the much more expensive, state built tunnels into Union Station from Palmdale.

The better question is if they will connect to California HSR infrastructure in Palmdale, or wait for some future Phase 2 construction through the Inland Empire to connect to Union via Rancho Cucamonga.
The answer is "yes". There will be a Rancho Cucamonga station to serve the Inland Empire, but I believe Brightline is in talks with Metrolink to extend to Union Station using existing tracks at regular speed.

This will probably require dual-mode locomotives, or they can clip on a diesel locomotive at Rancho for the last leg. I think they also need new platforms to open at Union Station before they can stop there.

Long term, they do want to use the High Desert Corridor to Palmdale and then CAHSR through the Valley into Union Station so they can run at high speed the whole way, but that's probably 15-20 years out so they need a solution in the meantime.