View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Thanks for your personal recollections of 3424 Wilshire Boulevard, lemster2024.

--------------------

Today's Julius Shulman post features the same architects and same street as the IBM building. We've seen the Signal Oil and Gas Company Building before, but not in this much detail. This is "Job 3362: Charles Luckman Associates, Signal Oil and Gas Company Building (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1962".

I've said this before, but it makes my research so much easier when the address is on the building. In this case, 1010 Wilshire Boulevard.

Here's the back of the building.

An angled view. NB. I've omitted a similar but darker shot.

And the obligatory arty shot to finish.

All from Getty Research Institute

Just a quick reminder - you can see the Signal Oil and Gas Company Building fully illuminated in a 1967 Julius Shulman image I posted in post #32200.

Now complete with rooftop swimming pool, the building has been transformed into TenTen Wilshire. I think I prefer the original design.

GSV

If, like me, you were wondering about the identity of the lost Art Deco building on the corner of St Paul Avenue, it was the 1936 Claude Beelman designed Woodbury College at 1027 Wilshire. The college moved out in 1987, and the building was demolished soon afterwards (there appears to be a demo permit dated 1989, but it's not available to view online). The destruction of the former college building seems rather ironic considering they added architecture as a major in 1984! Woodbury College has been mentioned a couple of times before on NLA, but I think this wonderful night shot is new to the thread.

USC Digital Library
re: the corner of Wilshire and St. Paul. I have been wondering for at least a year what was on that corner. They left strange remnants of the building when they tore it down and it is now a parking lot that we call "The Ruins Parking Lot" I go past it every day and wonder about it. Thanks for solving the mystery!