View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 25, 2009, 12:39 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I'm not crazy about the aesthetics of the Winnipeg design. And forget about Exhibition Park in terms of any useful facilities. That place needs to be bulldozed.

The sunken bowl idea is interesting. Too bad there is development all around Citadel Hill, otherwise we might have found a use for the thing finally -- a stadium along one side. The Citadel High site would have been perfect.

If Ashburn wanted to sell off their old course, that would be an ideal location and it has some of that slope. It would help in the much-needed widening of Bicentennial Drive as well.

Still, while this is an interesting exercise for development aficionados, I remain convinced such a stadium here would remain empty 95% of the time here and be a tax-dollar-eating white elephant.
I was at the Metro Centre shortly after it opened in 1978 for the CIS Basketball Championship between Saint Mary's Huskies and the Acadia Axemen. It was sold out with over 10,000 people (including floor seating). At the time it was a record for a university game in Canada. For me, and I am sure for almost everyone in attendance, it was a great source of civic pride. I feel that would be the same emotion for people attending a CFL game in a new Halifax Stadium. Just imagine having the Grey Cup in Halifax.

The Citadel Hill is actually a great natural venue for concerts. It actually entering my mind that the site of the Citadel High School would have been a great location for a stadium except I wouldn't go along with incorporating the Citadel Hill.

I seriously hope that Halifax will build a stadium in the near future. An economically priced stadium shouldn't be a white elephant any more than the Metro Centre is.