View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 2:29 AM

I think the hype on this guy is mostly in Vancouver, as I haven't heard anyone hyping him as generational or the the best swede etc.. and I agree with you guys, making grandiose comparisons like that for a player who's played 9 games is actually ridiculous. At the bare minimum one needs at least a full season, but I agree you you guys, you really need two years in row before you can make a decent judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
2nd in ppg going but again only 9 games in and right after a 5 point night. The bottom line is there's no point in making assumptions about him, other than it looks like he'll be good, but better to make comparisons after a season, or at least halfway. Myself, I wouldn't make a comparison until at least halfway through the sophomore season. I've been around hockey long enough to see blazing starts taper off.

There have also been numerous players who have lit it up in junior that ended up being average players or not even making it in the NHL. It's a long term thing that takes more than 9 games with one of the games being an exceptional 5 game.

He could be better than Laine or Mathews, but I doubt it, only because the odds are that he won't. Give it a full season or so, and re-evaluate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Agreed you need to have a follow up sophomore year before you can be anointed anything. Pettersson went 5th overall and back to the SHL for a reason. Obviously he is a very good player but generational and best Swedish player ever is plain comical and I can't believe we even have to discuss this. Even if he maintains his pace this year, pretty much impossible, he has to come back next year and prove he can do it again. I would give an exception to this rule for guys like Crosby and McDavid who didn't surprise anyone in their rookie years.

And sorry if I'm incorrect but I believe the same poster was pushing Boeser over Matthews last year. Boeser is a great example of what we are talking about here. In fairness he got injured last year but his goal scoring pace tailed off and down so far this year.