View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 4, 2018, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I'm wondering what that threshold a player has to cross to be considered generational?

I'm hearing Pettersson being compared to Pavel Datsyuk by knowledgeable hockey people, so he apparently has a good 200 foot game, and, although it's only 9 games, he's shown a good potential to be a 100 point scorer (given 82 games). He's arguably the best offensive talent to ever come out of Sweden, based on his SHL season where he broke longstanding records. In my mind Pettersson is near generational or better. He's at least on par with Auston Matthews.

There's a hilarious Pettersson vs Matthews thread going in HF Boards right now.
Like I say he looks very promising, but I think people are jumping the gun. Give it a couple of seasons, not 9 games before deciding he's the best offensive player to come out of Sweden, or that he's near generational. I wouldn't compare him to Auston Matthews yet. Give a season at least.

Comparisons of players by knowledgeable hockey people are a dime a dozen, as knowledgeable hockey are always making comparisons. I've heard hundreds of comparisons that never panned out over time. It reminds me of Kristian Huselius when he first joined the league and scored 10 goals in his first 10 games. I remember a commentator saying he was the best offensive talent he'd seen out of Sweden. I'm sure Pettersson will be better, but the point is there's lots of season left, and more seasons after that.