View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I wonder why the Dominion Government picked a correction line to be the border between SK and MB and a meridian of longitude to be the borders between SK and AB and AB and BC (at least the northern part).
Between MB and SK it's actually a correction line up to more or less around Pukatawagan MB (2/3 of the way north), and then for the final 1/3 it's a longitude line.

I swear, looking at a MB highway map, the discordance between the jagged correction line and the smooth meridian line triggers some kind of latent OCD impulses in me.

Quote:
It is sad to see all the rail-lines that once criss-crossed the prairies are now gone. Some of the railbeds remain but it would take a lot of work to get them back up to speed. Although if the feds were looking for a MAJOR INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECT................
The lines are gone for good... in many ways rail serves customers better now than 100 years ago. My grandfather would have taken literally hours to haul grain by horse-drawn cart for the relatively short distance to the nearest elevator. These days the nearest rail line is much farther away from the old family farm, but the time it takes to get there and back is a fraction of what it once was thanks to (semi) modern rural highways.

I just can't see those old rural branchlines ever coming back.