View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/10116918/...d-olivia-chow/

I didn't have this on my 2023 Highways Bingo Card.

Probably not a major consideration at the moment, but I do wonder if they'll get numbered in some way, or if the "QEW" will take over the Gardiner. Or if we'll see "DVP" on an Ontario highway shield.
This is a bit too Toronto-centric and I'm going to talk about non-highway stuff in the highways thread, but this is a huge win for the City of Toronto, and probably the most consequential thing Olivia Chow has ever done. Kudos to her.

Included in this highway uploading announcement:

- 55 new subway cars for the Bloor-Danforth line. That's hundreds of millions of dollars in savings for the City.
- The province assuming all the operating costs for the Eglinton Crosstown and Finch LRT lines. So not only does the city save on operating these lines, but it also frees up about 100 buses at rush hour that can be redeployed elsewhere in the system. Huge.

It was always getting more dubious with the province increasingly covering 100% of the funding of big capital projects in Toronto, but I'd say that this is the definitive end of the Mike Harris era of austerity and municipal downloading, and this all happened under a Conservative government.