Thread: Panhandlers
View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2010, 10:06 AM

I don't think 'panhandling' is a major problem in our downtown core, its be going on since I was a young child in the early 80's and most likely even before that.. but what I have seen is a increase in drug dealing over the last ten years, primarily in the Gore Park area of downtown. I hear the new chief of police plans to address this problem......? lets get some regular uniformed foot patrols going! and on a very regular basis, most of dealers in the core are most likely users as well.. those types tend to get very paranoid and will most likely move on. Its really like trying to plug multiple holes with rushing water when it comes to drugs though, its a never ending battle. I have seen the evils of what drugs do, primarily crack cocaine, it just sucks! it can take a millionaire, top executive, e.t.c. and turn them into a bum on skid row, just looking for his/her next fix..I have lived near downtown all my life and there has always been the odd alcoholic/listerine drinking bum wondering around, most are harmless but can be a bit intimidating to outsiders I imagine, I remember one guy from downtown from the 80's who would walk up and down king and bellow out 'Got Any Spare Change' just a broken man,the cops would buy him coffee and have a chat with him...addiction is addiction, alcohol or drugs.. its a lifestyle that 'most' people choose and then they just don't know how to get out, it clouds your thinking...sorry for getting a bit of topic...peace