Thread: Panhandlers
View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emge View Post
Shelters are often unsafe places, but I do agree - many people have chosen this option.

Many people that are homeless are mentally ill and/or struggle with addiction, and violence can be a problem. I wouldn't be totally blithe about it.

However, in de Caire's context I think "difficult-looking" people in that context doesn't primarily mean the homeless or panhandlers (many panhandlers bus in from places they live, and not just in Hamilton do they do that).

This is who "difficult-looking" is for me.

First, those intimidating-loitering type (blocking the sidewalk with your dogs and your buddies). Catcalls, threats and swearing optional, but de rigeur

Two, those who keep pushing drugs or sex (I just love it when my husband tells me that the girl who just got on the bus with us had propositioned him the day before. That's intimidating shit if you keep getting approached or have your spouse being approached in the middle of your most visible public area)

The kids who keep asking if we have weed are just irritating, though I wish the few stores known as hotspots to get weed or "other stuff" would get a thorough investigation and cleanup.

That's who the "difficult-looking" people are for me in the core. Other people like unmarried teen moms (most of whom don't smoke around their kids), the disabled, or the homeless may bother some people on other matters, but they're not intimidating me, getting in my face, or interfering with my enjoyment of public space.

The homeless issue is tough. I can't in good conscience give someone money that I know is probably going to alcohol or drugs, especially when I see the same people at LCBO buying bottles all the time. So I still don't carry change, but I do donate to nonprofits whose programs are actually helpful.

That's me personally... so I'm not unsympathetic.

However, for our city to allow our core to be dominated by those asking for handouts (often much more in the summer when the "seasonal panhandlers" come on out...) that sets a bad precedent and bad image for the rest of the city and especially for first-time visitors.
I agree with many of your points. However, it's hard to find causation for the state our downtown is in. I'm not sure the homeless there are really the problem in the grand scheme of things. There are plenty of homeless people in every urban center; the difference is they actually have destinations, businesses, condo's with thousands of people living in them etc. In other words, they have heterogeneity of the population and a diversity that causes the homeless to be less contrasted; however, it's always there.

As far as the drug problem goes, I think too much time is wasted on weed dealers. It is illegal and I am not endorsing it, but there are larger fish to fry. Someone selling cocaine or heroine in Gore is a problem, but a quick handshake and exchange of money for weed should be the least of our problems.