View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 8:54 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
I'd be interested in seeing some of these dozens of high density urban neighbourhood nodes 10 miles from the city centre in those other cities (I know Chicago has some stretching for miles North along the lakefront, but what about going inland?)

Weston originally was a village that later became part of the borough of York and the City of Toronto. North York Centre is another huge hi-rise and commercial node 10 miles North of the city centre along Yonge Street in what was at one time the village of Willowdale, so like Weston it tends to peter out to more typical low density post-war suburbia pretty quickly once you leave the main commercial street.

I'm just saying that Toronto tends to have these sudden outcroppings of tall, urban looking high density areas in the middle of other wise low to medium density areas that look and feel like fairly major downtowns (Yonge and Eglinton in the old city is another such area) that you don't really find in American cities other than NYC.
Miami and dc have plenty of these areas, but they are barely discussed here (at least compared to north York, Mississauga etc

You don’t here Miami formers claiming that north Miami Beach makes Miami urban , not so you hear dc forumers extolling the virtues of Reston or tysons corner