View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 10:21 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Will the spaces still be public parking or are they for the residents? Usually there is objection to losing public spaces to a development like this and some/all are demanded to be replaced. Not that I agree with that at all but given the lack of leadership aldermen are almost always going to take the path of least resistance.
The packet doesn't say what the parking will be used for, but the layout of stairs and elevators does suggest some percentage of spaces will be for public (paid) use. There are direct stairs to Western and Leland from the upper level, and an elevator that only connects Levels 1/2.

Also, the city-owned lot may be subject to the damn parking-meter deal, meaning any spots removed would have to be replaced, either here or somewhere else in the neighborhood.

Still, I can't really regard this as a progressive use of land. I'd honestly rather just keep the existing parking at-grade with residential above and no retail space, and if the city ever manages to escape the damn deal they can just enclose that space for commercial use.