Thread: Greater Napanee
View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS1498 View Post
Very true, TownGuy! Malls in general appear to be on the decline but with a population of approx. 20,000 Napanee still needs a consolidated location for shopping, gas, etc.

The Napanee mall pre-renovation has numerous small stores and a central court as well but this has now been changed to a big box format. From my understanding you can still enter the Napanee Mall and access the bank and pet store and a few smaller retail spots.

Are you referring to the Northumberland Mall in Cobourg? I am surprised it is dying given its proximity to the 401 and new subdivisions. I think the future of malls are uncertain for sure.
Yep I'm referring to the Northumberland Mall. Most people go to the Oshawa Centre now if they want to do mall shopping. Cobourg will never be able to compete with a GTA mega mall, I'm sure it's the same for Napanee being near Kingston. Between online shopping and big box stores smaller malls seem to be a causality. For people who do want to go to malls they'll drive a bit to go to one with everything.