View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 25, 2021, 4:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Isn't there a lot of freedom for people in Quebec to do what they want? I'm open to the idea of Quebec being an independent country but the biggest reasons why this seems far-fetched right now are (1) there are few well-articulated, powerful examples of things that Quebec residents want that other Canadians are preventing them from implementing and (2) it's objectively not popular with the electorate as a concept right now.

This is perhaps evolving into one of those cases where I am more of a messenger than I am sharing my own views.

I'd agree that Quebec already has a lot of the leeway it needs to build the type of society that it wants. "Most" of the leeway? Maybe...

Anyway it has quite a bit of leeway but my observation is that a lot of its imperatives and prerogatives even if they exist do get challenged and pushed back on. Another thing is that the world isn't static and so the language and culture issues of yesterday aren't the same as today - there are all sorts of ramifications in a globalized technological world and this means discussing and negotiating things with the feds who may or may not be open to talk.

Also true IMO is that often Quebec governments don't always even use all the leeway that they already have because they fear a backlash from someone or somewhere - internal or external.

For example they'd have the right to extend Bill 101 rules on French schooling to CEGEPs if they wanted to, but while the currently proposed language bill (96) will tinker with that a bit, it doesn't go nearly as far as the government's authority would allow it to.