View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
It can be a little confusing sometimes--as with a number of streets beginning their runs south below 1st Street, since there is no "North Victoria" there really is no South Victoria--

It seems that 5435 wasn't Leslie's home but rather a man named Brittain's...

from: http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/ind...opic=29948.150

From http://www.theatreorgans.com/grounds/docs/rumors.html
"The original name of the Leslie Speaker was "Vibratone." Leslie Speakers were also called "Brittain Speakers." In 1941, Don Leslie formed a disastrous partnership with one Lou Brittain and early nameplates identify the manufacturer as the "Brittain Sound Equipment Co." This partnership was dissolved after the war."

The 1940 census for 5435 Victoria reveals a radio salesman named... Louis Brittain:

From January 1968 until September 1980 I worked for the Electro Music Company in Pasadena. This was the company that Don Leslie began after WW2, and was purchased by CBS Inc. in 1966 along with Fender Guitar in Fullerton as the start of a musical instrument division. I knew Don Leslie personally and was the cabinet engineer and designer of many Leslie models.
His business during those first years after the war was so fragile that he would never let customers see his very small facility in west Pasadena. Laurens Hammond would have gladly put him out of business but I think he underestimated him and probably never saw the CBS buyout coming. After Hammond’s death, the two companies got together in 1968 and produced the first Leslie to be sold with a new Hammond Organ. In 1980, Hammond bought the company from CBS and moved the manufacturing to the Chicago area. Don Leslie had retired by that time.
During much of the late 60’s and into the early 70’s Leslie manufactured about 100 speaker systems a day. But the market began to dry up with advancements in electronics, and today a small number of the products are still manufactured for the “purists” who will never settle for digital sound.
I have a soft spot for Leslie because that’s where I met my wife. It was nice little company to work for but they didn’t pay worth a crap!