View Single Post
Old Posted May 28, 2012, 5:42 PM
Recent Hamiltonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Looks like Skylon Tower in our West Harbour. I think Hamilton is the only Great Lake city or any waterfront city that actually ignored its waterfront.

Well we didn't ignore it, we designated it 90% heavy industry, so we have a downtown that is disconnected to the water. Actually land values decrease for the most part the closer you get to the water. Go north of King, > decrease, go north of Barton > decrease, go north of Burlington St > nevermind decrease call it, "fall out zone". and that;s all getting closer to the water. Something's not right in Hamilton's water.
I know... I understand why, but it still boggles my mind that the closer we get to our waterfront, the less desirable the properties are.

I've always thought that if we could (somehow) move the factories, we'd have loads of desirable, waterfront property with which the city can assess higher taxes from.

Same thing with the mountain brow (mostly East of Upper Wentworth, up until The Sherman Cut); that should be ALL houses with fantastic views. And again, then the city can assess more in taxes.

Really, since we all talking "fantasy" here, I'd move Mountain Brow BLVD back from the brow, and chop up the land north (and East, when it starts to curve) in lots.

Move all the factories/warehouses/industrial parks onto the South Mountain, in the middle of suburban-survey wasteland... keep the lower city/waterfront/mountain brow for residential/walkable/shopping/retail/commercial... like a real downtown.