View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 11:36 PM
Honored Member

Back to the topic of a stadium. This quote from Wishblade was in the Central Library section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
its simple. a new venue equals better facilities, and a larger seating capacity generally means larger events can be held there, thus filling more seats.

And the metro centre actually sells out quite a bit for events.
However, they are talking about a 12,000 - 15,000 seat facility (this was in the call for proposals). This isn't going to benefit the Mooseheads since their owner Bobby Smith already said that they don't need a larger Metro Centre to play in. So going to a bigger facility might mean a few extra concerts. However, if they are planning to spend $150 million then why not go much bigger and have an enclosed stadium with 30,000 bench style seats that will allow for events that even a new Metro Centre won't be able to host; large concerts for example (maybe get U2 to come to Halifax since they would be able to pack at least 40,000 into such a facility). And why not build it so that it can be a convention hall also (example AlamoDome). Now I have said that I don't really want a dome however, an enclosed stadium with lots of large windows for natural lighting would change my mind. This really would complement the Metro Centre whereas having the Metro Centre and a new Metro Centre will do little for Halifax. The only way this would make sense would be if Halifax was going for an NHL team which it really isn't ready for.

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 9, 2011 at 9:40 AM. Reason: removed bold font