View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0214685226 View Post
Retail apocalypse has been occurring like a slow moving viscous lava flow on the Big Island of Hawaii. The restaurant apocalypse has been more like a Mt. St. Helens eruption. There's a difference between the two.
If I want a pair of shoes, I usually know what I want and what size. It's easier to order them online than drive to a store. For dining, the situation is very much different. It can be as much about the circumstances under which the food is consumed as the food itself. It can be about the companionship, what's happening before and after, the atmosphere . . . a whole lot of things.

For this reason, I don't think in the long run there will be a loss of dining options. I think there will be huge turnover as restaurants that have existed die and new ones, beginning in 6 months or so (when I expect a COVID vaccine to be a reality id not yet available to everyone), start appearing. In 2 years, dining away from home will be as strong as ever and maybe the options will be even better in some places because of innovation in the industry.

But selling shoes and pants and shirts and all manner of things people just want to possess without having to search for will become more and more an online, have it shipped experience.