View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 7, 2008, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I fully agree. The school does not need to be in this part of town next to the WTC. Putting a city university building there is dumb.

Sell the site to a private developer, then take the money and build the school somewhere else.

By the way, do they even need a new building? Because if they've gone this long without the use of this building, something tells me they may not need one at this point.
The school has every right to remain at the site. How is it going to come out otherwise? "Let's use a tragedy to our financial advantage so we can kick an educational institution out and resell the land for profit?" Schools and universities are an integral, vital part of any city fabric and the last thing that shoould be done is relocating the college from their Fitterman Hall site. All the studies I mentioned earlier revolved around keeping a base used by the school (of about the same size as the current building), while adding a condo tower on top. It would be a win-win situation - the community college would get much-needed money by selling condos, which, in turn, would bring more vitality and mixed use to the neighborhood. And for the skyscraper geek in all of us, we'd be getting another tower that would add to both the new cluster and the Barclay Street canyon.