View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Non sequitur seems to be the order of the day today. I am not denying that the LA and Bay areas are horribly congested; in fact, I make that point constantly and suggest that subway and rail transit within those areas is money well spent (not counting multi-stop LRT that goes for 30 miles through low-density suburbs, which is just ridiculous). Build HSR from Bako, Palmdale, Riverside or Irvine to Union Station and I'm a 100 percent supporter (assuming quality management, serious budgeting, competent oversight and such). Same for HSR, for example from Sactown to Oakland to SJ and SF.

But that in no way implies that it makes sense to connect those cities via train. That would NOT effect internal traffic within those regions in the slightest. Zero, zero, zero.
I haven't claimed that HSR would have the slightest effect on travel within LA. It will improve travel between the northern and southern parts of the state, though. As for travel in L.A. - not one dime more for freeways; take some relatively inexpensive steps like synchronizing stoplights; installing protect left-turn lights at every major intersection, and perhaps sharply increasing the price of curbside parking, but the ultimate solution is subway and light rail on dedicated rights of way that stops fairly frequently and is linked to nearby neighborhoods by small shuttle buses running on 5-10 minute schedules.