View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 3:26 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I gotta say I’m pleasantly surprised with IMD leadership on continuing to move these developments forward instead of perpetual land banking.

Hopefully they can sell off these assets to private owners and use the money for their primary focus: healthcare and research
I agree, I thought for sure the later phases of Gateway would die on the vine. Happy to see they have permits for the hotel and residential phases. I'm still skeptical until I see groundbreaking, though. It will be nice to have the street grid restored in this area (assuming they didn't chicken out of this feature from NIMBYs).

Also, how much hotel demand is there really at this location? They already opened two flags in the old Cook County Hospital, and there is a Marriott on Ashland. Is a fourth hotel needed? Residential should be successful, there are plenty of IMD workers and students that are ending up further and further away from campus, and Rush just tore down a huge chunk of student housing to build their new outpatient center.