View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 5:30 PM

Gotta Love Politics

Metro Denver set to drop I-25 and C-470 expansions as planners shape climate-minded transportation future
August 15, 2022 By Nathaniel Minor - CPR News
Quote:
After decades of pouring billions of dollars into a transportation system that favors moving vehicles quickly above all else, the Denver region could see a significant funding shift away from road expansions and toward public transit, pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure.
Given that buses and rail transit are overly crowded this should help. /sarcasm font off

While I'm not wholly against 'liberal visions' I am amused by the lack of pragmatism.

More Bark than Bite

Both the noted C-470 and I-25 expansions are not near term priorities. Priority projects will still be done.
Quote:
But some Denver-area highway expansions would remain the new long-term plan, including new toll lanes on Interstate 270 in Commerce City, I-25 north of Denver, and I-70 at Floyd Hill west of Denver. About a dozen urban arterial streets would still be expanded, too.
A lot of climate talk - Blackouts dead ahead
Quote:
Democratic lawmakers and Gov. Jared Polis put the transportation rethinking in motion. Big reductions in emissions from power utilities are on track, state officials say, as they gradually move from coal and gas to renewables like wind and solar.
Yes, there's a plan in progress to move away from coal. But if you also eliminate Nat Gas then downtown Denver can look forward to Blackouts; that should be fun. Talk about lack of understanding and pragmatism.

This part sounds good
Quote:
The proposal would accelerate some bus rapid transit projects by a decade. Under the new plan, five “BRT” corridors would be completed by 2030: East Colfax in Denver and Aurora; East Colfax Extension between I-225 and E-470; Federal Boulevard; Colorado Boulevard; and State Highway 119 between Boulder and Longmont.
This would be a good use of State funding. Chances are they only get to East Colfax BRT, Federal Blvd and SR 119 between Boulder and Longmont, but that would be great. I suspect that Federal will be more of a BRT-lite plan.

Lone Tree is enthused

They want a bike trail along Lincoln Ave between Parker and Lone Tree. No objection from this peanut gallery.