View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 9:36 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
i won't disagree with you that downtown LA is a good place to dine out on the occasion.

but i will say, not much more than that. if i had a weekend visitor here from germany or tokyo, or sydney, (as i have), downtown la would not be a best foot to put forward. perhaps a good place to spend an hour for dinner, fly-by for skyline pics off the 10 - and then leave. would you not agree?

how do i undersell LA? it really does suck at urbanism. its food culture absolutely underwhelms for a city of its size, and relies on the sheer size of its immigrant enclaves for anything worthwhile. true street life is anemic. everything good about LA relies on its sheer scope. but pound for pound, it absolutely sucks at being a big city. how do i know? i speak to people all over the world, those who actually know a thing or two about urbanism

LA is only cool as a concept once you include all the sights that are not really in LA, but dispersed across its expanse of ubiquitous suburbs
How do you undersell L.A.? By writing this like you just wrote. I'm typing on an iPad, which is sort of a pain, so not going to dispute all of your claims. Just some of them. You say that L.A. has no food culture. Now, that might be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard anyone say about L.A. Almost everyone can agree, or apparently almost everyone, L.A. has great food. From the taco stands to the sushi bars, L.A. has some of the best food in the country, if not the world. I've heard multiple highly regarded international people say that L.A. Has the best selection of food in the country. Say what you will about architecture, or urbanism, but don't say that L.A. has no food culture. Also, we have the best hamburgers in the world, and that is a fact.