View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Just flipped on Tucker Carlson for a half-minute and saw him talking about this. It was predictably cringe-worthy analysis and supportive of this Trump edict.
I read this in the Journal--it was an Op-Ed, not necessarily reflecting the paper's editorial opinion--a few hours before Tucker comes on the air, but I saw his piece nevertheless and you've got to admit the examples he showed of recent federal buildings were hideous.

Actually, Thom Mayne's San Francisco building is much more interesting and creative than what Tucker showed--they did all look like something from North Korea or, since North Korea sometimes puts up something interesting like that giant conical hotel, worse: Just quadrangular blockhouses.

In general, a program by the feds to foster beautiful architecture--not necessarily classic--seems like a very good idea but it's amazing how badly they have failed to do that (build attractive buildings). So I support Trump's idea just because the average Greek temple is far more attractive than the typical Communist prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
So much this. Not only is this eerily reminiscent of some seriously fucked up past regimes, it's also painfully Eurocentric. I've seen some alt-right types who hate modern architecture, I'm sure they will love this. All the more reason to dump it.
To suggest that some of these buildings represent any non-European culture is to demean that culture. Seriously. Look around the world at so many US embassies. They are designed to be fortresses but the problem is they mostly look like it.