View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKOTH97 View Post
Just for fun, I took the county density map from the 2006 numbers and tried to determine what the sprawling US "Megacities" might look like in the intermediate future...say 2100.

I have circled areas that seem to stand out as continuous tracts of densely populated cities and towns throughout the United States. What I came up with were a total of 8 possible "Mega Cities" or Megalopolis' around different parts of the country. Today there are 2 certifiable Megalopolis' in the US...those being SF - San Diego and Boston - DC. The other 6 in my list are developing Megalopolis'.

1. Boston - New York - DC "New England"
2. Pittsburgh - Cleveland - Detroit - Chicago "Rust Belt" or "Midwest"
3. Miami - Tampa - Orlando "Sun Coast"
4. New Orleans - Biloxi - Mobile - Pensacola "Gulf Coast"
5. Houston - Dallas - San Antonio "Lone Star"
6. Raleigh - Charlotte - Atlanta - Birmingham - Nashville "Appalachia"
7. San Francisco - Los Angeles - San Diego "West Coast"
8. Seattle - Tacoma - Portland "Great Northwest"

All of the other cities seem to be in areas where they dominate the area and don't really run into other cities. See Minneapolis, Phoenix, Denver, Kansas City. Anyway, I thought I would throw this out for discussion.

http://www.imagewoof.com/view_image/...MegaCities.jpg
You can't use the Cascadia and not put Everett and Vancouver in there. Even Eugene should be in there. That county map is very misleading. The counties in Oregon and Washington are large in area but most of the population is centralized around I-5.