View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 8:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Not to derail anything here, but I feel like this needs to be pointed out... That manifesto isn't real
The stuff I posted is based on what I've read on the BLM Toronto and BLM Vancouver websites (and what I've historically followed as their actual demands when they shut down Pride parades in a few Canadian cities), not circulating social media content. I will admit I don't check them all the time and it looks like they've been updated (thankfully; I did actually save the content a while back and reposted it but I won't bother to dredge it up). The BLM "Canada" link you provided lists a bunch of Toronto-specific demands plus examples like:

- Canada must immediately open the Canada-USA border.
- Migrant workers in Canada must also be given permanent status and open work permits.

My concern is that HRM councillors may never have read this stuff, they may not endorse it, and a lot of it doesn't have to do with Halifax (i.e. it is Toronto activists making websites and labelling their stuff with "Canada") or is unclear. So it may be better for them to stick to local initiatives rather than endorse a specific organization's name.

I think the very fact that you made the leap from my post about BLM to the idea that I might be under the spell of right wing propaganda shows how politicized this really is.

Quote:
Furthermore, yes, there's an actual BLM organization, but supporting 'black lives matter' is not the same as supporting 'Black Lives Matter'. Kind of like how we have to differentiate between 'big C/big L and little c/little l' conservative/liberal.
Yet I wonder if this would be considered acceptable for "all lives matter", another deniable truth yet politically sensitive phrase. If HRM councillors suggested putting "all lives matter" on buses I would say that it's a bad idea.

Either way I do tend to think that this stuff will probably settle down in the future, as it had before the covid lockdown.