View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 15, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I confess I don't know much about other South American countries history. Brazil is very insular, and history is focused on Brazil itself and the World (meaning Europe).

I find odd, for instance, the relatively big numbers of Blacks in Pacific coast countries like Peru and Ecuador. Their football team, for instance, is much more Black than either Indigenous/Mixed. I've never stopped to read on how/why they got there.

As I mentioned, I don't know the details on Argentina, but in Brazil, slave mortality was incredibly high. Several times higher than it was in the United States. Birth rates were also very low and the abhorrent slavery practice relied pretty much exclusively on more and more arrivals from Africa.

Indeed, at least in Brazil, people are talking more about racism, Black activism, but it's still very associated to the political left and it's not embraced by the society or even by Blacks as a whole. Mixed people in general, much more numerous, don't even see themselves as Blacks, although socioeconomically speaking, they're on the same boat.

It's nice to see things moving on the right direction though.
Thanks, I appreciate your perspective.