View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 4:42 PM

I believe that density is good, sprawl is unsustainable, climate change is an existential threat, and we will have no choice but to change how we build and live in our cities.

As such, we moved from an outer neighbourhood to City Park in 1995. We wanted the ability to walk downtown and to the University, and easy access to the Meewasin trail. For the most part we have been happy with that decision, and I have walked or cycled to work for 25 years. We went from 2 cars to 1, and saved an absolute ton of money over the years as a result.

I have to say, through, that the number of sketchy people prowling around has skyrocketed in the last few years. After 20 years of no issues at all, in the last couple years we had multiple attempted breakins (several successful) resulting in lots of property damage. There is constant theft from our yard. There are regularly people stumbling around or passed out in the alley... even once on our front steps! Graffiti has exploded like a cancer. I witness constant drug dealing. I feel the neighbourhood is on a trajectory that is not good, and for the first time in my life I have begun to feel a bit unsafe when walking to/from work, especially when its dark.