View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. You and ER must have noticed that this Raymond was a working hotel until the fire. It received respectable reviews, so I am guessing they probably updated the lighting and televisions from the way you remember things.

Did the Raymond always have the curious over-the-door signage? Seems like the kind of folk art Jack McDermott might have appreciated. Was it designed as a hotel, with a front desk, or an apartment complex?
I've seen more recent interior pictures and the place looked quite snazzy compared to the way it was almost 50 years ago. I think there was a remodel sometime in the 90s when lighting was updated and televisions put in the rooms. Unfortunately the wiring was not completely redone at that time as it is my understanding that the old wiring was the cause of the fire. My 50 year old memory is suspect but I seem to recall a front desk although it may be that the manager's unit was right by the lobby and you paid him through kind of a dutch door arrangement. The rooms were European-style with shared bathrooms down the hall. That over the door signage is exactly as I remember it.