View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 4, 2012, 4:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybackribs2314 View Post
1.2 MSF isn't all that large for an office tower, and even with a 30% upzoning, 1.6 MSF isn't enormous either. Maybe 50 floors max?
You have to read between the lines here. Whatever they plan to develop, they plan it to be a signature tower that will change the skyline, and we still don't know exactly what the City will kick in for the sight, which is directly opposite (and above) Grand Central.

Quote:
SL Green's executive vice president of property management and construction, said the company plans to build "a spectacular trophy asset with designs inspiration from around the world," drawing on iconic modern towers such as the Burj Khalifa in Dubai and the International Commerce Centre tower in Hong Kong.

"I imagined how the lines and the curves of these designs will make a huge impact on the city skyline. I thought about how great it would be [to] construct one of these tower[s] over Grand Central Terminal," Mr. Piccinich said.....Development of new buildings "is not in their DNA," says Michael Knott, an analyst at Green Street Advisors. "I don't think that they have an intention to dive headlong into ground-up development. It's more of a one-off, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

I would expect something spectacular here. Another look at the area from google earth:

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.