View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
How very North Side to think the Orange Line was built to serve Midway Airport. There were only a few thousand boardings a year at MDW when the Orange Line was being planned.

The idea was to finally provide rapid transit service to the neglected Southwest Side. Lots of folks transfer from buses at the intermediate stations, and at Midway I'd guess less than a quarter of the passengers boarding have any interest in the airport.

And yes, it was very much built on the cheap, using traded-in Crosstown Expressway money. It ran on existing railroad ROW almost all the way—and never made it to Ford City—and even the Roosevelt transfer tunnel and down escalators got value-engineered out.
The Orange line has probably saved me 10k because I've never had to buy a car. This is the sort of stuff people don't think about in many neighborhoods I feel...

And to mariothisu's comment on the NYC people not seeing anything interesting on the ride in.... if you get a north facing seat (left side of the car), you get a great view of the city on a non-overcast/hazy day