View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I think your first comment is completely and utterly inappropriate (and suspect may be a violation of the forum posting rules). Where your evidence that HRM does this (let alone Calgary)? Frankly, that's not appropriate and what respect I had for your comments has been lost. You want to make sweeping statements, provide facts and evidence. Otherwise, do what most parents do: if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Frankly, your feigned offense is misplaced. I refer you to the solid waste debacle that is now going on, the original rationale for same way back when, and how those incorrect statements by staff at the time have now come home to roost. Or I direct your attention to the concert scandal and the outright lies made in that. Or the same in regard to weed and feed bans. The list goes on. The advocacy groups for cycling have captured our politically-correct council, and staff are all too willing to go along given their "progressive" POV. Spare me your outrage.

Quote:
Secondly when the article was published, that was the original function of the planters. But they have expanded - the number and length of the food area being harvested has expanded. So are you saying that helping those in the drop in centre be fed is a bad thing? Yet again, you lost all credibility...
It is a completely inefficient and unreliable way for anyone to obtain food. Cities are not farms. They are cities for a reason. There are plenty of professionally run, certified farms that do a very good job of producing food. These sort of initiatives are a very poor way for doing that. They are mostly "progressive" symbolism like bike lanes that make very little difference in reality and distract the public from the core mandate of municipal govt while wasting tax dollars.