View Single Post
Old Posted May 22, 2008, 7:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Because they are actually attached to the house (both porch and roof), and patios are not. They might abut the house but aren't actually attached.

I'm actually torn on this one.

I'm all for higher density, so whatever needs to happen to make that happen. But I'm also against the watering down of what is considered landscaped "green space".

Mattamy is really good at chewing up tons of green space. It's really sad they consider something created and installed by man to be creating green space....
I think we have to be careful how we define 'greenspace'. If you simply ask for more 'greenspace' without being explicit about its function, then that is all you will get: empty space that does nothing to contribute to the urban fabric, but just happens to be green. Then we end up with expanses of non-native turf grass that do nothing for the environment, and serve to separate people from one another. I like the term 'amenity space' since it defines the space by its function, not merely its emptiness, or 'greeness'.

I have to admit though, as a porch is an integral part of a house (or should be), defining it as 'landscaped open space' is a bit of a stretch.