View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 11:13 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I guess I could say I'm pretty geographically siloed. Outside of traveling and stuff, probably 90% of my life these days happens within the red circle. And like 60% still (if I had to put a number to it) within the smaller orange circle.

The red area is about 40 sqkm and home to maybe 400-450,000 or so people. The orange area is about 5 sqkm with a population of around 50,000 people (though, as the cultural & commercial heart of the city a whole lot more than that pass through on a daily basis of course). I grew up in North York and used to travel pretty extensively through the GTA so I still have an idea of the goings-on "out there", but my current experiences & mental map of the city are predominantly shaped by this admittedly unrepresentative slice of the city:

I grew up in the suburbs and used to judge city people for being so ignorant of areas even just beyond the urban core, but after moving into the inner city in Winnipeg, I get it. When everything is within walking distance why would you go anywhere else? And if you don't go there, how are you supposed to know anything about it? Aside from the university which is ~8km away, my "90% of life" radius is like 1km.